Thursday 20 May 2010

The Historic Making of a Mayor

An invitation to attend the historic Mayor Making Ceremony in the Moot Hall, Appleby-in-Westmorland is a thrill to receive. It is an honour to be part of such a great tradition which goes back to before William Pitt – yes the William Pitt – was Mayor of the town. If you have never been inside the Council Chamber of the Moot Hall I suggest you pay a visit later in the year when it will be open for the national Heritage Weekend. The panelled walls are filled with drawings, paintings, prints and now digital photograph of every person who has been Mayor of Appleby-in-Westmorland. The Jack from the saying “House that Jack built” is just one of the historic figures hanging in the only remaining Moot Hall in the country which is still a working council chamber. When the Mayor Elect, Dot Anderton sent me my invitation I wrote back immediately to say thank you, and accept. Then when I was taking a photograph of her welcoming the Help for Heroes charity cyclist to the town, I asked if I could video the ceremony. She kindly gave her permission, which allowed me to be the first person to film and publish this special ceremony. The Mayor Making Ceremony is a special full council meeting where the new Mayor for the year is voted in. The role is Chairman of the Council with the style of Town Mayor. Mace bearer, David Johnston was the person who made me realise the importance of the video. At the Mayor Making luncheon in the Tufton Arms Hotel after the ceremony he told me that the majority of the people in Appleby have never had the opportunity to attend the ceremony and don’t know what goes on. Video and the Internet have given us all the opportunity to see and learn news things. Publishing the video has opened up part of the civic life of Appleby to all. For the full story follow this link:

No comments:

Post a Comment