Friday 7 January 2011

Bad news day for Eden

I love the Eden Valley and it makes me feel sad when I have to report the demise of services and places that are part of our life here.
Today the first story I worked on came from a statement to the stock exchange in London from Cumbrian firm James Cropper Ltd. They are closing all 15 The Paper Mill Shop. That means no more visits to Rheged to fill boxes of craft paper and buy scrapbook items.
Then came the press release from Cumbria County Council to say they are taking over bus concession passes from Eden Council. They announced Eden's over 60s will only be able to get free travel off peak.
Then the final piece of bad news came from an email about Penrith Cinema closing. A popular venue which the owner wants to keep open but the owners of the property want them out. The National Lottery gave a grant to help upgrade the cinema and the owner has invested in a 3D projector. With so many empty properties in the town why is this happening?
A sad day for Penrith and Eden. I wish I could report a good news story.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment