Monday 3 January 2011

Facebook - citizen journalism in action

I've been reporting news for 21 years and in the past 12 months I've seen the growing role social media plays in news gathering. The first time I noticed it was listening to the World Service and the journalist quoting Twitter and Facebook Walls.
Today I got a message on my own Facebook page telling me about a local stargazer's guide to watching tomorrow morning's partial eclipse. It made a good story for the Lake District Messenger.
There is still a role for journalists and mainstream press in that there is so much information out there people are looking for a digest of news relevant and interesting to them. There's still only 24 hours in everyone's day.
For a roundup of news from your community visit your Messenger for local daily news just a click away.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment